So my BFF from high school needs help. She wants to wear this dress to the reunion, but needs accessories and shoes to dress it up a bit. She's on a tight budget and doesn't like high heels (I think she would deal with lower heels, wedges or flats). Can you help? I know that she would be forever in debt to you. I've tried to help, but you have a much better eye for this than I do.
Well, no debt needed - I love this stuff! Accessorizing this cute blue dress will really dress it up. Because of the detail on the neck, no necklace is recommended. I also think (depending on the haircut), the hair off the face and shoulders, like model #2, is a good idea to keep the neckline less busy and overall look dressier. This way you can show off your ears...which I think should be adorned with bigger, fun earrings.
Here are some accessory options by themes...
Silver Theme:Forever 21 Pretzel Knotted Bracelet ($6.80) - I think this kind of contrasts with the girly details of the dress for an all around chic mixture.
Forever 21 Eclectic Sequin Earrings($8.80) daisy fuentes® Flap-Lock Clutch in ivory from Kohl's ($18) - a white clutch with keep the accessories neutral, yet fun and break-up the silver. This will keep the dress the pop of color.
east5th® 'Carlie' Peep-toe Wedge from JC Penny's ($21.99) - a classic shoe will compliment the statement jewelry.
Add fun nail color - like a light or bright blue, like Essie's Barbados Blue. This look will be very cool and classy. Silvers, whites and blues go very nicely together and it's easy to find accessories in these hues.
Gold Theme:Urban Outfitter Kimchi Blue Long Croco Clutchin Gold ($19.99)
Charlotte Russe Filigree Circle Earrings ($4) - I bet these will catch the light really well too! Forever 21 Jinny Floral Ring($7.80) - Instead of a bracelet, a big cocktail ring would be fun!
DV by Dolce Vita Women's Dedra Sandal ($36.36) through Endless.com - Free Shipping, even Overnight! A nice sandal with a little wedge lift.
Add a bit of color on your nails - try a warm pink, like Essie's cut as a button. This theme will really warm up the dress and add a touch of brightness to it without too much color. Also, using gold will dress up the look really easily.
Burst of Color Theme:Forever21 Fancy Rhinestone Hinge Bracelet ($8.80)
daisy fuentes® Turn-Lock Clutch in green from Kohl's ($18) - I love this color and it will really pop against the blue dress! Forever21 Faceted Tear Drop Earrings ($2.80) - this pretty blue looks great next to the darker blue of the dress, and is also in the bracelet. Madden Girl Women's Motif Strappy Sandal ($36.64) through Endless.com (same free shipping as above) in Gold (or the blue if you aren't afraid of color).
Polish your nails with a subtle color - like a nude, or light pink since you'll have on bright accessories here, like Essie's Delicacy.
I love the mixture of colors. That bracelet is my favorite. If you find a bright multi-colored jewelry piece, you can pull colors out of it for other pieces - like the ears and shoes. A purse is always a great area to add a great pop of color.
I think option #3 - the Burst of Color Theme might be my fav... What about everyone else? What's your favorite theme for this lovely blue dress?
So it took me all week for this post, but wanted to dedicate this to last weekend's travels to Denver. I've been to CO many, many times. And now I'm lucky to have a good friend that lives there that I can go visit whenever!
My weekend in pictures:
Beautiful Denver sunset - from downtown Denver
Hiking in Boulder, CO - Shanihan Trail
Shanihan Trail had wonderful scenery and flowers...
Best Ice Cream ever...Little Man Ice Cream (Gelato and Sorbet too) LoDo (West of Downtown in Lower Highlands)
Downtown Denver bar: Front Door On Saturdays, they pick 2 names and if your name is one of them, you get to drink for free. This night was Emily night! Emily, our Denver hostess.
Fishing down the Colorado River in the Rocky Mountains. We started at Pumphouse, about 1.5 hours west of Denver in then Mountains.
Overall, an amazing, yet too-short, trip! Denver comes highly recommended on my list. Beautiful with SO much to do! Hiking, floating, kayaking, fishing, white water rafting, biking, great restaurants, fun atmosphere to go out in downtown Denver, Boulder unique shops and festivals, etc.
Have you been to Colorado, besides to ski? What did you do?
I.Love.These.Shoes. NineWest's Snooks T-Strap Sandal in light gold and natural leather must find a home...on my feet. The 4" heel scares me, but the supported foot might help keep the foot stable and more comfy??
Dearest Alli has lost her beloved black cardi. That is a staple must-have, right? So...here is what she wants:
Hey Meg! I was wondering if you wanted to help me out!! I lost my black cardigan this weekend and need a cheaper one that i can wear open, closed, with a belt, etc. either short sleeved or 3/4 length sleeve. Thanks :)
Here's what I've found.
1. V-Neck, 3/4 sleeve from Alloy ($9.99!) 2. Mossimo® Black: Puff Sleeve Cardigan - Black (17.48) 3. Women's Tie-Front Pointelle Cardigans from Old Navy ($19) 4. BILLABONG CLASH CARDIGAN from Swell.com ($49.50) 5. Mac and Jac Shawl Cardigan from Macy's ($39.50) 6. Cotton pointelle cardigan sweater by VS ($29)
She talks about how exciting and wonderful it is that Michelle Obama is a fan, gives an overview of the day in the life of a Creative Art Director of JCrew, and the video shows her office space and projects.
In this era of being green - recycling, reducing and reusing - I do my part, and spice up a gift with a unique flare, by reusing my magazines to create gift wrap. I recently gave a friend a birthday gift covered in brightly colored ads, cute boys, funny cats and beachy scenes.
Here's how I created this too-cute to open package:
1. Grab a stack of old magazines that you don't mind ripping out some ads and pretty pictures. Get to work by tearing (as gently as possible to keep the edges smooth - or just use scissors to smooth them out) out pages that match a colors or a theme, or just appeal to you!
2. Depending on the size of the package, tape the magazine sheets ripped out together to form wrapping paper. And then wrap as normal, tapping where needed.
To make a bow-replaced topper:
1. Cut strips of ads about 1-1.5 inches thick and at 5 inch lengths.
2. Use 4 strips at about 5 inches long (depending on how much room you have on top of your gift), make 2 X's and pillow tape down. This is the first layer.
3. To make the next layer, use 4 of the same strips of paper and fold each one in half (doesn't need to be perfectly in half or centered). Pillow tape the folded paper together and tape to base of bow.
4. The 3rd layer, cut 2-4 of the 5" long strips in half (depending on how full you want it). Then fold those 4-8 strips in half and pillow tape to the center of the bow, pointing all different directions.
5. Bend the pieces up and fold towards the middle so they appear more fluffy and stand up.
And there you have a very cute, unique and fun package to give a gift in. And I feel greener by the minute!
What do you do with your old magazines? Do you have any good ideas for reusing them?
UPDATE! I have to add this super cute pair of black 2 1/2" heels I just stumbled upon! Adorable.CaparrosHendrix Heels ($69)Laura is 5'10", and loves heels. She loves fun and trendy shoes; shoes with something interesting to offer and, at the same time, can be standard go-to shoes. She needs basic, but cute black heels that can be worn out on the town with jeans, or to a wedding with a nice dress.
But the hardest part of all, she needs these to not be 4" tall, since she's already got the height.
She's asked me to assist her in finding cute, affordable black heels, under 4"...so my shoe(s) of the day are black shoes with mid-height heel options:
1. Peep-Toe, AK Anne Klein Women's Portia Pump ($68.95)
2. Nine West Women's Levin T-Strap Pump ($79.95)
3. Floral Embellishment, Caparros Women's Cameo Platform Slingback ($32.58)
4. Lauren Ralph Lauren Women's Darlene Dress Wedge ($62.44)
5. Aerosoles Ventriloquist T-strap black sandal ($59.99); I posted the white version before and still love it in black. Maybe not as dressy of a shoe though.
6. Naturalizer Whitmore black sling-back peep-toe heel ($39.99)
7. JONES NEW YORK Diggory T-Strap Sandal ($49.95)
8. AK Anne Klein Women's Happy Pump ($79.95)
9. J. Renee Nicolette Strappy Peep-toe Pump ($78.35)
Hopefully there is something in here that works!
Any other tall ladies out there? What kind of shoes do you wear?